Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Governor Tax-a-lot?

My friend Mike Flint continually refers to Gov. Dannel Malloy as Gov. Tax-a-Lot.

Fair enough. The man is raising taxes on just about everyone in the state, while next door, NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo is not. But as Malloy points out, Connecticut's deficit is much higher as a percentage of its budget.

Our fiscal problems are so severe that if Malloy balanced the budget without raising taxes, aid to schools would have to be cut drastically. And you know what that means. Municipalities and school districts would have to raise property taxes. Either way, we get hit.

I take a back seat to no one in my aversion to raising taxes, but I don't think there's any way to get around it this time.

Here's Gov. Malloy's appearance today on Morning Joe. I thought he acquitted himself well. I think Mika has a crush on him.



2 comments:

  1. I saw Malloy on Mo Joe. I agree. He handled himself well. Aquitted? Given fairly recent gubernatorial history in CT - interesting choice of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Johnny Rowland was not so fortunate to be "acquitted."

    ReplyDelete