Monday, August 29, 2011

Irene: Minimal Damage Here

Check this out:



After seeing the devastation that was heaped on neighboring communities, such as this Vermont town that saw its covered bridge ripped from its moorings and washed away, I feel fortunate to have only a little water in the basement of my Lakeville home.

We never even lost power here, although it did blink a few times. My guess is we got about 7 inches of rain in maybe 10 hours. Under that kind of assault, one of my basement windows did leak a fair amount of water.

The wind accompanying the downpours was no big deal. But after the rain moved out yesterday afternoon, the back end of the storm produced some gusts in the 40-50 mph range. Once again, I feared we would lose power, but thankfully it was not to be.

I did, however, post the following on Facebook:
I've had it with TV meteorologists standing in 50 mph winds and horizontal rain telling us how bad things are. One of these days, a broadcaster will be killed or seriously injured and then maybe their producers will reconsider this idiotic practice.
Maybe a dead broadcaster and a lawsuit will get their attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment