Monday, April 12, 2021

Apropos of Nothing: Of Migrant Children, Affordable Housing and Teslas



My latest column for CTNewsJunkie.com:

Should Connecticut house migrant children in a former juvenile detention center and should the state be the decider of local land use policies? Yes and no, I say, in that order:

Keeping children in a correction facility when their only offense is crossing the border unlawfully is, of course, less than ideal ... These children have indeed been through a lot of trauma, but I’d argue that whether it’s the Middletown campus, which closed in 2018 after a scandal involving its builder and former Gov. John Rowland, or the Southbury Training Center, the more important factor to consider is how they’re treated once inside the facility.

Read more ... 

Two tweets below. One from a Lamont critic and another one asking me if I had ever visited the Connecticut Juvenile Training School in Middletown. No, I have not but I don't think that means I can't have a valid opinion. I know the Middletown facility was built for children and is secure. I worry about these children's safety if they were housed in a hotel or similar unsecured location. They would make an attractive target for violent extremist xenophobes.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment